Thursday, December 10, 2009

technical difficulties

My Ipod touch is flickering on and off, since this was my last mode de connection except for Sylvains crazy keyboard french laptop Im feeling pretty psyched that tomorrow we kiss Valpo goodbye and head to Pucon for some... more vacation...

Being in Valpo has been a strange experience, I have no regrets about coming, but I sometimes wonder if I should have stayed so long. The last two weeks have been the best two weeks but they have been seriously marred by technical malfunction, fleas, and mediocre weather. I dont have any desire to look back and spend time weighing the Valpo experience, Ive had plenty of time, in fact, nothing but time to think about things. For a long time now the questions worth considering havent had anything to do with being here; instead, what comes next.

For now Im headed back to the states, frankly thrilled to see snow, to feel seasonal, holiday joy and whatnot because I have not been able to muster any here. While Ive been away Ive been pretty dismayed by the state of things back at home. As a teacher were always going on about setting high standards for our students, the same goes for my country. Eight years of Bush was enough to crush anyones spirits, but while I see the opportunities for change coming to fruition; I dont see anyone taking advantage of them, and thats been more disappointing then when the opportunities didnt exist in the first place. Im tired of fighting with republicans about who is right and who is to blame, what I want to go home to is a place where no matter where you stand on abortion, guns, or healthcare, you do whats right.

Im afraid to move to france, Im afraid that it will mean giving up watching football on sundays, giving up my language, and everything thats familiar, giving up my job and the opportunity to work at a school where my experience and voice matters, where I can work hard and make a difference in kids lives whose experiences I understand because I know their parents work two part time jobs and receive no benefits so their healthcare plan is called waiting all night long in the ER because once again their brothers asthma was acting up, their bedroom is the living room couch, and I understand how and why their lives are like this.

I dont know much about any students in France, I dont know the hierarchy I will find in French schools, or what to expect or how to locate myself within it all. My french is better but nothing is worse than not being able to communicate effectively exactly what you need to say. But what I do know is that the French take care of their own. Politicians are politicians wherever you go, but healthcare is a right to all its citizens and no one is free to carry firearms in the parks or to church. Politicians dont dumb themselves down or instigate fear of intellect.

Right now though, I just want to enjoy being back home.

No comments: