Tuesday, December 8, 2009

going to the movies and cerro la campana

First things first, out of the desperate boredom of a Sunday without a laptop for 8 days I begged Sylvain to tak me to a movie promising he could pick the flic. In the past he has tried to convince me to see the Haunting in Connecticut so giving him free reign was risky, not to mention the choices we had were as follows: 2012, Coco Cannel biopic and Twilight. 2012 was at the bottom of my list but thats indeed was what we saw. I could have happily lived a fullfilling life without having seen it, but going to the movies was almost like being back in New York. With a 15 minute intermission in the middle and a 6 dollar price tag, you could find your differences, but after 3 months of cinema abstinence I enjoyed ever minute, even if the film was rote and predictable peppered with many moments of disbelievability.

Cerro la campana, I woke up at 730 left the house just after 8 got the metro at 835 just missing the 830. Arrived in Limache an hour later got a collectivo, argued with the driver after he suggested I pay 10 dollars for what should have been a 4 dollar ride and ended up paying 6. Started hiking at 10, 2 hours later the novelty pretty much wore off, soldiered onward and upward, and then said to myself, screw it, Ive hiked Mt Kilimanjaro, Ive summited Machu Picchu and so with that I figured Id had a pleasant day of hiking - 4 hours in total - and I turned on my heels and made my way back down. When I got home I found that my knees were in bad shape- I am convinced that jogging down Kili forever ruined my knees in this capacity and my days of hiking up tall things are over if only for the descent and the painful aftermath of knee pain. Still, I popped an Ibuprofrin and things the pain subsided nicely, especially with the new Dexter episode to take my mind of my own troubles and replace them with Dexters. On a day when 3 of my best friends turn 30 it seems to me that age is sneaking into town and ruining all the fun.

1 comment:

lydia said...

Intermission? Neat, where did you go see a movie? I've never been to a movie anywhere except the drive-in in the US that has had intermission. When I see movies in Valpo they never have intermission. I bet it feels old fashioned.
But like you said, going to the movies in Chile does feel like I've suddenly been plopped back into my comfort zone.