Friday, December 11, 2009

Pavarti's vinyasa yoga

Funny how some things come full circle. When I moved here in september I had been practicing yoga intensely for about 6 months and in the last month or so I had been working out regularly at the gym so I had gotten a lot stronger and my yoga practice felt the benefits. Then I got here and tried a few yoga classes, I spent every other blog writing about the disappointing experience so I wont retrace my steps. About a month ago gringa girl brought me to Hari Kari a vegetarian restaurant that also had yoga classes early in the morning and after 6pm. They were very inexpensive and so I figured I'd give it another shot, something about the place and space sort of resonated with me, it was very indian and that felt comfortable to me.

Of course, I never made it to yoga until last night. The girls and I were back at Hari Kari having lunch last week and we decided to say goodbye yesterday with a yoga class and some drinks afterwards. I picked up gringa girl who lives on the way, she hadnt been to any yoga classes here, and I assured her it was no more than light stretching and eye rolling. When we arrived we found real yoga mats- not just 3 inch foam mattresses, and real blankets. Things were looking up. Pavarti introduced herself, we knew her already, she's the waitress at Hari Kari and since we sup there once a week she was a kind and familiar face. She asked what kind of yoga we practiced and I said vinyasa and hatha- so when class began with the familar melodious chanting I went from low-expectations to spending the yoga practice beating myself up over not coming sooner. I was in a weird heaven hell. Finally I found my yoga class, Pavarti was a sweetheart, the yoga wasnt challenging but the poses and chanting were like salve for the soul, and I was leaving tomorrow. We got our first class free and I felt a surge of emotion, I made gringa girl tell Pavarti that Id spent months looking for a good yoga class here and with her I had finally found it, the day before I left Valpo.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I just moved to Valpo and am looking for a good yoga class. I laughed out loud at your abuela piece. And the other class with the patronising man just sounds awful. Parvati's class sounds just what I need! Could you email me where it is? nat in chile at yahoo dot cl (the first bit is all one word). Thanks!

Good luck in Paris!

Jeannette said...

I so understand what you mean.. American Vinyasa Yoga is hard to find in France.. if you end up in the South of France there are a few teachers and classes.. i am glad that you found something though.. did you check out the anusara studio though?