Saturday, May 29, 2010

Location location location

I spent two summers in London, and they were two of the sunniest, and pleasing summers of my life, typified by happy people sitting out on the green having picnics and a pitcher of pimms and lemonade. Everyone talks about the bad weather in London, but I'd never seen anything to complain about.

Paris is another story, the weather here, is um, terrible. We have had about 4 random days of nice weather in the last three months, 4. If anything can be called typical London weather, I'd say Paris has got it. It rains most days, when the sky is blue, the temperature is cool and breezy. I was depending on the uplifting nature of sunny weather to get me through the next couple months of nannyhood. Who minds sitting at the playground if basking in the warmth of the sun? The sun would be my salve to the monotony and brainlessness of my job.

A week of rain did not go down well after a beautiful week in New York punctuated by picnics with my lovely friends and long walks in the park, something that's impossible to do in Paris as parks don't exist. We are geared up to stay in Paris until Christmas, but I'm finding my resolve to be shaky. Two months of summer sun would bring me to the last leg of the race which I could pysch myself up for after a glorious summer, but if "summer" is going to be a wash, then I don't know how I'm going to keep the troops' spirits alive for another 6 months.

No comments: