Sunday, May 30, 2010

And after Paris?

Last night Sylvain came home from Marseille having had to take the TOEFL and present himself to a jury at his University. I did not feel like cooking and so we went out to Timbale, the only place in our neighborhood that is pleasant. We had a nice meal and Sylvain told me we could move back in August if I get a job. I had been pushing somewhat for this, but he had always held fast that we would stay until Xmas. So this came as a bit of a surprise, and I had only applied to one teaching job as a sort of well let's just see. We are open to anywhere but there's a crisis so even if we wanted to move elsewhere, NYC is probably the only place I have a chance at getting a job right now.

A week ago I said an emotional good-bye to NYC, my friends sent me off with a consolatory "You'll be back!" and I thought, I hope, maybe. I know I would be happy again in New York, but part of me wants to see somewhere else, try something new. It's been hard starting over in Valparaiso, and Paris, but mostly due to language and paper issues. I can work in America, I have paperwork! I'm a citizen! But my boyfriend is not. So he needs to be able to find an internship somewhere, which in this climate will be hard. His English is fine, as opposed to my Spanish and French, but still, he's French. All of this is, overwhelming. We have a chance to move back in August if I find a teaching opportunity, this would be amazing for me, finally some brain stimulation and life as I once knew it, adult living! On the other hand if I don't find a job we move at Xmas, with potentially nothing. Sure we could move anywhere, our options are open, but how are we going to live? I could substitute, but the struggle would not be over. On the other hand, Xmas gives us more time to figure out what to do with Sylvain, and how to find him a job or internship... There isn't an actual choice to be made here, if I don't get a job, the choice is made for us, if I do, we move to that job... It's just that one of us is always limited without having paperwork...

No comments: