Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Initiation

I've moved to 3 different countries and each time figuring out where to buy a hairdryer, setting up a bank account, how to rent an apartment, how bills work, and how to go about finding a job can be overwhelming. Living abroad as a student generally comes with some orientation, and always a few other foreigners who are stuck figuring everything out too, so if nothing else you have someone to make mistakes with, tear your hair out in frustration and feel dumb, lonely and lost with. Sylvain went to Chile early and showed me most of the ropes when I got there, but although he's French, he's not a Parisian and he's not an American without papers. So when I needed a hairdryer after mine blew up, he was dumbstruck- until we asked a female friend who said FNAC and a light bulb went on in his head and he seemed to remember he was French, oh, yeah, FNAC a major french electronics store...

I had a lot of help from Smithie's who had done JYA here or have just been here, and the internet always helps too. Still I feel like it would be nice if everything you ever wanted to know was sort of compiled for easy access. Most people don't leave their jobs and lives to move to Paris while their boyfriend finishes school, so in all likelihood it's not a one size fits all kind of post, but I bet it kills at least two birds with one fly for most.

Finding a yoga place has proved to be an uphill challenge, so far I have gone to three classes in three different centers all which didn't exist, couldn't be found, or were canceled. Still one thing that helped me find a class that did at least exist but was canceled- rather than just googling something like YOGA PARIS was going to the 18ieme arrondissement's Marie's web page- the local mayor's office. Here was a great resource of less expensive and of course less posh yoga classes in my neighborhood. Still the class I went to had nice people, wasn't over-crowded and was quite a clean and comfortable space- sort of dance room at the YMCA. I tend to like my classes a little more hippy dippy incense and OM, but since it's local and not overpriced I have no real complaints- except the class was canceled so who knows if the teacher was any good.

I found a pool right away, but as usual when moving to a new place it took me a while to feel settled before I just went. I was glad when I did, I love swimming, and it's become my saturday morning routine. That's the thing about new places, you have to jump right into what would have been your old routine, the longer you wait the more you feel like a stranger in a strange land who doesn't fit in.

It also helped to join the Smith Alum club here which I've frequently written about. I read today in the NYT that joining one club or activity that meets once a month makes people more happy than extra income. I'm referring to David Brooks piece about Sandra Bullock and her current state of happiness having just won and Oscar that will increase her salary, but having lost her husband to extra marital affairs...

Initiation part deux tomorrow...

No comments: