Friday, March 26, 2010

French Fashion

For almost all of my life all I've ever cared about are clothes. Not in the snobby horrible way, but I loved fashion as sort of a artist statement of mixing and matching colors and textures. When other girls were buying YM and Cosmo, I was spending 5 bucks of my babysitting money on Vogue so I could rip out all the haute couture adverts and wallpaper my bedroom with them. I never bought video counsels or CD's or anything but nice clothes and shoes. So in a lot of ways Paris should be a dream. The fashion here - and you wonder why in this age of internet and globe trotting- it's just better.

They have the most stylish garments here, especially the kids- who by far dress better than anyone else- I'm talking 5/7 year olds. The thing I appreciate about Paris fashion is you see very little sects of people dressing a certain way, for the most part you don't see hipsters cutting up curtains and wearing them or non-stop skinny jean from mid-town to park slope. The french women seem to always be wearing high heels, which I no longer want any part of, and more often than anywhere else I've ever seen Black is about the only color you can wear.

The thing is, 6 months ago when I packed up my apartment and had three garbage bags of clothes (to keep) I decided I wouldn't buy anything until I'd worn out all I had. It was pretty easy to do in Chile, there wasnt anything I wanted to buy or wear from there, but a major shift in my thinking happened, and now as much as I appreciate the gorgeous coats that all the woman wear here, I no longer desire. Next time I need a coat I'm going to buy a beautiful one I love- but that desire to shop and try-on and have, it has somehow shriveled up and died. I also have yet to discover where you can buy all these beautiful things- the Parisians have a plethora of clothing stores but all the same ones as in America.

Until then, I'm hooked on Habitat. A better version of Crate and Barrel.

No comments: