Friday, November 6, 2009

Santiago's Pre-Columbian museo

Every time Sylvain and I get in a cab (this morning was no different), the driver asks us if we're brother and sister. It's starting to get weird- were we brother and sister in a past life or something? Sylvain and I are always holding hands so it's hard to imagine us giving off that sibling vibe- and we don't look alike either, he's skinny and has a likeness to Sean Penn, whereas I'm softer in body and features with redder hair.

Sylvain's class was going to Santiago today to visit some agencies so I caught a ride and went to the Pre-Columbian Art Museum. Everyone speaks highly of it, but frankly I wasn't so impressed- I think what gets people excited is the fact that it's a modern museum, fresh, contemporary clean lines, layout and labels. However when you have the MET in your backyard, its hard to get excited about a mini-museum with a lot of clay vessels. Still, I've seen worse (Istanbul), and although it was overpriced, it should be considered a formidable museum for a place that clearly isn't NYC or London. I would have liked a stronger emphasis on textiles, which I think would have made it more than one-dimensional. And there was supposed to be a jewelry section but I never saw one- I hope I didn't overlook it.

On the bus today I asked Sylvain where the American was from but he didn't know, and when we met up later he told me he had asked and she was from Fond Du Lac about 30 minutes from where I grew up. Small world, but what was even stranger, was on the metro in Santiago I was standing across from a guy who had a workers shirt on. On one side the name Jim was embroidered (my dad's name) and on the other side with the pocket it said University of Wisconsin Green Bay... Random, but annoying, I was so distracted in noticing it, I missed my stop.

In various apartment news, our shower head busted when the water was turned off locally on Monday, I guess when it was turned back on the pressure ruptured the plastic. Our roommate is very upset and told us individually that the shower head was very expensive, $80. I have a huge shower head in my bathroom at my parents house similar to this one (I picked it out and I remembered it being pricey- by the way so not worth it- a big shower head doesn't make a special shower experience if you ask me- good water pressure does) and so without thinking about it I thought, yeah, that seems about right (except, duh, this one is plastic) and so Sylvain and I stopped at Easy - the Chilean version of Home Depot, and found the exact shower head we have at home for about $40. Also, Sarah's $3 generic brand shower wash fell off the overburdened shelf space and broke in the tub, we are also getting blamed for this (although neither of us were there to witness the tragedy). Insane...No one, I mean no one would bother breaking a bottle of shower wash- and it so obviously fell off the shelf, there are an insane amount of bottles vying for the same ledge space, it was only a matter of time before someone got thrown overboard...

No comments: