Saturday, November 7, 2009

Paperwork and going back to school...

I've been considering taking some English credits so I can get certified to teach English in addition to teaching Art. I think this will diversify my stock so to speak. It means taking about 3 English classes and I would likely have to take them online. UW Milwaukee and Empire State College in NYC offer online courses both of which I qualify for "in state" tuition which makes them slightly cheaper all things considered. I'm a little sketched out by Empire State and it's reputation, but it offers cheap credits and at this point it's what I need. On the other hand overpriced education has certainly gotten me jobs in the past... and come September a job, is what I need.

It would have been nice to have had the foresight to be taking those classes (or at least some of them) this semester- but I suppose these things happen for a reason... If we end up in Montreal I need to take a class about the history of education in Quebec in order for my certification to transfer. Since I love taking classes I'm very excited, but the financial burden right now could not come at a worse time and the need to get all of this "paperwork" stuff settled before hiring season begins is a little worrying.

This week I found out two of my former 14 year old student's are pregnant. I suppose as their teacher I should be mostly considered about the likelihood of their aborted education. But I'm more disappointed for the children they're bringing into this world and the cycle they are continuing. Their mothers are my age, and soon they will be grandparents...


No comments: