Sunday, October 11, 2009

N1H1 and Vegetarianism

The internet bills has still not been paid for, and I really want to read the NYT. Sometimes we can get connection from the neighbor, but apparently not today…

 On Friday we went to a friends’ house Sylvain had met before I arrived- they were a couple comprised of and American girl from California and a Chilean guy. Turns out their couple-hood was a coupledum of convenience with a side of disaster. She was my first American I’ve met in Valpo- she’s been here a while (about 2 years) and is ready to go home, but plans on staying till April so she can do some traveling… She works here translating at the Navy and make beans for money, she’s as poor as we are. Not finding work here has been a blow- but the truth is, working here, I would make so little money, it’s hardly worth it.

 American girl also caught N1H1 last June and lived to tell about it- she said she was knocked out, and it made her weak and tired. If that doesn’t sound like the flu, I don’t know what does. At the moment, I’m glad I’m not in the northern hemisphere on the subway or in the classroom exchanging germs.

 Sylvain and I love Chinese take-out and so we have been keeping our eyes peeled for Chinese restaurants here- we found about 4, but they all seem the same- chop suey is what constitutes Chinese food in Valpo. We went on Thursday for lunch and it was probably the worst Chinese food I’ve ever had- mostly because it barely resembled anything Chinese (and I’m not saying ny take-out is authentic Chinese). Still I could have made a far more recognizable version at home or significantly less money… Eating out here is hardly worth it, it’s really expensive and except for the social value and “getting out” I don’t think the food holds up. So I found some recipes online and made General Tso’s and Sweet and Sour, I still can’t wait to get back to NYC and order from our delivery place 20 bucks and you eat for three days – even with Sylvain’s appetite for 3.


No comments: