Saturday, October 16, 2010

Alliance Francaise

I feel obliged to post my mauvaise experience at Alliance Francaise Paris. I chose AF because I had an amazing AF experience at the New York location, but after two months and two awful teachers I am taking my hard earned money elsewhere. The classes are really expensive, the two teachers I've had have been polar opposites of the spectrum- one was seasoned but regularly called our Sri Lankan classmate Pakistani, which should not have been hard to remember considering at that time there were only 5 of us, and she was uncomfortable teaching us modern French, as in, the French that people speak as opposed to the French people spoke 50 years ago. Her methods were old school, she didn't use technology and stuck to the curriculum she'd been teaching for the last 30 years. The latest teacher must be new because she has been a basket case, lost. I check my watch at least every few minutes, and while I have always loved learning, I find that I fake bathroom breaks and walk around the halls to waste time- in 20 years of education I have never done that before.

My class is the highest section currently offered of Oral French right now (although in theory there are several higher levels), which is frustrating, there aren't any other sections offered on alternative days and the class size keeps swelling as more students add. My classmates and other friends I've met here feel the same about Alliance Francaise, when my course ends next week I will be looking for language exchange opportunities, or to pay a tutor; for anyone looking these offers are easy to find...

No comments: