Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Did I forget Versailles?

Well thats because palaces turned tourist hot spots hold about zero interest for me. They reduce a massive housing estate to about 20-30 rooms that have been removed of everything interesting and hoards of -I'm sorry but it's true - (or at least it was in my case last Saturday) Japanese tourists clumping together and snapping useless photos that will never turn out because the rooms are darkened to conserve god knows what since all that remained was a sad chair, decorative wall paper and some uninspiring portraiture paintings. Repeat that 20 times and it's easy to ask why, why these places can charge you 15 euro and barely get what could even be considered exercise after all the bottlenecks created by the jammed up lumps of- sorry, Japanese tourists.

I honestly probably never would have made it to Versailles if my friend from high school hadn't invited me, and we did have a lovely day, I just wish I would have said, lets skip the rotting disintegration of times long past and forgotten and lets slather on some sun cream and take a stroll in the amazingly beautiful gardens on this amazingly beautiful day saving ourselves 8 euros. But no time for regrets, too busy rubbing my sore feet. Who knew walking through probably less that a fifth of this palace would drain so much life from the living...

If you ever find yourself living in Paris, or just on a visit, save yourself the money, the time, and the worry, you're not missing a thing, just head straight to the gardens and hide a picnic somewhere in your bag... Also the fountain show, isn't actually a show, they just turn the water on...

No comments: