Sunday, January 10, 2010

NY baggage

Last night I went to the new Pedro Almodovar movie Broken Embraces. I've seen all Almodovar's movies and Penelope Cruz is his go to leading lady, and he tells a good story. Lincoln square has a Loews or AMC movie theater and an independent one. The independent pulls in an older upper west side crowd and last night was no different. Sitting behind me were 50 something couples and the two women were having a conversation about a recent bus ride.

Lady #1: So this guy was on his cell phone and the bus driver stopped the bus got on the mic and told him to shut off his phone, but there were two people having a conversation and they were even louder than the man on his phone.

Lady #2 Huh, that sounds annoying.

Lady #1 Yeah, I think the bus driver should have told the two women to stop their conversation.

Lady #2 Really?

Lady #1 I think buses should be no talking.

Lady #2 Well I don't.

You know you're old when you advocate for no talking on public transportation.

Today I went to New Jersey and bought a new suitcase. It was buy one get one free- great deal, but a little tricky when taking the Path train to New Jersey and then transferring to the subway in Manhattan. I had taken the Path train before but only with a friend who lived in New Jersey. I didn't really understand how the map worked because it ended up back tracking after visiting Hoboken, and I had to ask someone after I found myself confused with the unexpected stop. After buying my luggage I headed back home and got help from two nice men who helped me lug the bulky baggage up the various flights of stairs. When I got to the subway I was standing next to a older gentleman who had just gone to whole foods and was peeling himself a mandarin. After watching him for a few seconds the smell wafted over to me and I began to realize I was hungry and that a mandarin was just what I wanted. Then I imagined him reaching in his bag and offering me one. When he reached in his bag and said "traveling dehydrates you, here", I accepted the mandarin marveling over how pleasant New Yorkers are.

No comments: