Monday, January 25, 2010

Je suis arrivee


Sunday was spent wasting hours away cleaning, packing and watching endless episodes of Park and Recreation. I headed to the airport early as I was instructed considering the cat. Air France employees were immediately taken with the petit chat and although I had all my papers out ready to share with them having spent hundreds of dollars and hours obtaining all the proper vaccinations, signatures, and stamps necessary, but no one was interested in reviewing them. I seriously underestimated my cat, he was a champ throughout the whole experience. Once we took off we experienced a lot of turbulence- I have never had problems flying, but I was uncharacteristically worried that the turbulence would stress him out, nonetheless he didn't cry at all.

Having had plenty of opportunity to queue up for hours in customs lines in Chile, the States, Ethiopia etc, I was prepared for a long wait, imagine my surprise when I passing the duane took all of 3 minutes. Sylvain was waiting on the other side and we packed the taxi with my bags and headed home on a gray Paris day. I couldn't help but think London.

Our apartment is...small, especially when we have 3 large suitcases inside. The kitchen is closet size, which for someone who loves cooking is... a bummer, the bathroom is practical and the main room has enough room to have our kitchen table and for now, a box spring twin mattress and what is commonly called a "flip and F@#*. I don't know the original name of those cheap modular chairs that we had in fourth grade silent reading, and sometimes in college dorm rooms flipping it into a makeshift beds when friends came to visit.

Yesterday we walked through Montmartre and had a glass of wine and then walked back to our neighborhood to find a place to eat. We found a place just at the end of our block, I was losing the plot pretty quickly as I'd only managed 3 or 4 hours of sleep and so I soon found myself in dreamland with box springs poking into my sides. Bummer #2. Today is wholeheartedly dedicated to IKEA and finding a better option...

This picture shows Sylvain outside our apartment building...

No comments: