Sunday, January 31, 2010

Getting Settled


Last night we were back at Max's and there was champagne, so no surprise when we spent this morning sleeping in. We had planned to go see A Serious Man- a movie my friend Jon keeps recommending me- it's the new Coen Brother's flick. However after popping to the grocery store and boulangerie I came home we had breakfast and it was a quiet Sunday at home that appealed to me more than anything else and Sylvain agreed.

We made calls home to our parents and then I went from reading Eating Animals- which gets better day by day to finding a bit of an expat community for me. I found a Yoga center that is very reasonably priced and has Vinyasa classes and a bilingual website. Tomorrow I need to go to Darty and get a new hair dryer, go to the apple store and get a French power adaptor for my MacBook and I found a few interesting "American Groups" online. The Association of American Wives of Europeans is one of them. I'm not a wife, and I have a feeling all the ladies are my grandmothers age, but I found a good website for American women where there are book clubs, events and art exhibits.

The point of me being here wasn't to speak English all the time but I do want to find a community of my own. Mostly I'd just like a yoga class and a few book or art events to be involved in. As nice as all Sylvain's friends are, and they are incredibly warm, none of them are particularly involved in the arts or in education.

Sylvain has this program that we speak French in the morning and English in the afternoon, however, between the two of us we almost always speak English. Occasionally we have 5 minute conversations in French throughout the day but nonetheless I'm finding that unlike watching French TV while we were in Chile, I understand a lot more of what is being said when we have the TV on, and when we hang out with his friend's its all French except when I need translations. He'd like me to register at Alliance Francaise for classes but they're so expensive, and until I find a job, we just can't afford anything like that.

1 comment:

rytaran said...

for a controversial and volatile read about an extremely disfunctional family and young person, please consider the true novel Euclid Avenue Our scars mean something. it is the first in a series of three true life novels. the press release can be seen at eloquentbooks.com/euclidavenue.html. excerpts can be viewed in the photo album on facebook-R Keith Rytaran. for the purpose of review, the book is available upon request.