Thursday, December 31, 2009

Orangette and MY [future] life in Paris or Fromage Bleu

Do you know that girl who wrote the blog/book about her dad Burg, thinly veiled with mediocre food talk. She called it Orangette after some chocolate covered orange peel, sounds gross right. Well as I prepare to move to Paris I was thinking I should entitle this chapter of my blog/life Bleu Cheese, or Fromage Bleu.

While we were in Chile, I missed cheese the most, so it was no surprise when Sylvain went to Fairway market that I wrote blue cheese and baguette at the top of his shopping list. He bought a huge chunk and I didn't get through very much of it what with all the dinners out celebrating the holidays and our return with friends. So when I got home tonight I was lucky to find that chunk of blue cheese (and some of my roommates crackers) or I would have starved. Five cheesy cracker later, I discover Im not the only one who enjoys the stink. My cat Manny, who NEVER eats human food, or even tuna or wet cat food, started licking the plate of cheese crumbs.

Speaking of France I asked for and received Julia Childs "My Life in France" for Christmas, and started reading it a few minutes ago. My Aunt Loretta asked for some book recommendations for her cruise down the west coast to Lima and although I didn't have anything concrete, I advised on travel writing. My favorite hands down is Paul Theroux, an old sailor friend gave me The Patagonian Express for my birthday right after I returned from Peru having been living in Boston and having hiked Macchu Pichu (Paul's journey starts and ends in the same places). Afterwards I read almost the collection of his travel writing. Dark Star and Riding the Red Rooster were also good.

So why not read about Julia in France? She and I seem to have a lot in common, we love to eat, we love to cook and we went to Smith College. Were practically leading parallel lives. Having also received her cookbook for Christmas I couldn't help but notice how food fads have changed over the last 40 years or so. Wisconsin never let molded Jello salad recipes die, but I'm pretty sure Aspics have died out world wide- at least I hope they did, because while I'd try anything once, I have a feeling I wouldn't like it.

2 comments:

Loretta said...

I love your comment about Jello salads. My sisters still make them for gatherings, it is truly a Midwest thing. The rest of the world has also moved on to yogurt, Greek yogurt but I get a feeling that the cream cheese is still the white stuff in WI.

400 cheeses should be your new blog...it relates to your room number and the number of cheeses in France according to DeGalle.

Try sometime Greek yogurt on a rice cracker and caviar. It top of the evening last night for me.

Miss Rosie said...

At my cousin's baptism reception - all get-together's in wisconsin take place in the garage- well the spread included 2 jello salads, one whip cream and canned mixed fruit mix, and 2 kinds of chex mix. Spanish hamburgers or hot beef are also staples

I had forgotten this kind of food existed...