Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Mac down

Two days ago we had our friend Gabi over for drinks and we were watching phoenix and daft punk music videos on our projector when next to my head my mac charger sparked and then an ominous smell.

Gabi brought me to the Mac store in Vina there is one at the mall I never been to and we discovered that to replace my charger Id be dropping 140 american dollars. I opted to forgoe this expense for now and spend the next two weeks using Sylvains french keyboarded laptop with a broken b button and impossible to figure out punctuation. I figured out the period and the @ sign and thats as far as my ambition and threshold for frutration takes me. Its bad enough the a m q and w keys are in the wrong places and to type a number you have to use caplocks.

Gabi is kind of a lost boy. His father is Chilean his mother is French Canadian but lives and teaches in Paris where Gabi was born. Right now he is living in his step fathers Valpo apt with his friend Pablo who is a childhood friend from Paris. He has dropped out of university twice Im guessing at this point its just not his bag but Gabi isnt a loser, in fact Id say hes sort of typical of his generation, searching for answers about who he is and where he fits. As it stands he plans on staying in Valpo until New Year and then heading to Peru or elsewhere to find an NGO or volunteer position for a few months- I have my doubts about this coming to fruition but its a nice idea- and then heading back to France via Canada.

Where do we all belong, its a question that seems to plague a lot more of us as less and less of us stay rooted in the soil we were raised in. There are two ways of looking at this I think- one is to say wherever I have good friends, work and a support system - I can make it work. The other involves check lists measuring weather considerations, aesthetic comparisons, cost of living, crime rates, public transportation, outdoor access, political leanings, size considerations, the list goes on. Certainly the items on any check list play a part, and who we are as people factors in to how important those measures will be.

No comments: