Wednesday, October 28, 2009

For Sonja: the best of NYC

A lot of these places I go because I like one thing- and some I have no idea what the addresses are, so you may have to just google...

Best BBQ
Fete Sau- worth the trek to brooklyn- I think it's on Havermeyer or the cross street is Havermeyer and it's on Metropolitan- take the L train.

Best Italian
I think Pepe Giallo's in Chelsea by the art galleries. I like the pasta with mushrooms, but the fish plates are excellent too. Take the ACE to 23rd st it's on 10th and 25th. Max SoHa's where I believe I've taken you a few blocks from my house is almost identical... but there I prefer the eggplant pasta, and the fish plates never disappoint either. Take the 1 train to 125th it's on Amsterdam and 123rd.

Best Brunch
In brooklyn I'd say Dumont- they have a great back garden- sometimes the food is just good- but the atmosphere is always great. They have an amazing trout omelet, but it's only a special so sometimes it's not available. In manhattan, I love Community- the mushroom quiche melts in your mouth (and I'm not the kind of person who says things like melts in your mouth)- they had a kitchen fire before I left though and were closed all summer- not sure if they are open anymore- this place has great fish at night too- the other place would be on St Marks street in the East Village- it called Cafe something- I just told Schuyler all about it, and he went there- it's sort of middle eastern and they have this great eggs benedict type thing but with cheese- but in general I would say go to the East Village for brunch there are too many good places- you'll find something, and the vibe is really nice too.

Best Chai in the world and not to be missed
I can't believe I didn't frequent this place everyday before I left- Yaffa Cafe also on St Marks cross street is Ave A I think. You could go here everyday for a Chai and never get sick of them- the use a homemade concoction that I have tried to buy off of them. I bring out of towners here a lot because the food is ok, but to me it's really crazy and eclectic and makes people feel like they're not in Kansas anymore- and if you convince them to get the Chai, they don't care if most of the food on the menu has sprouts.

Best Mexican
I have no idea what the name of this place is, but its near the DeLancy F train and you just walk two blocks north its on the corner of I think Rivington.... It's a total grunge place but it's authentic and the chicken quesadilla's are delicious... And cheap.

Best Guacamole
Rosa Mexicana- don't bother eating here, just go for a margarita or beer and order the guacamole meant to be split between two or more- I have often considered going and ordering it for myself- it wouldn't be difficult for me to inhale it all and convince myself it constitutes a meal. There are two locations- maybe three- the one near my house is in Lincoln Square- take the 1 train to Lincoln Sq- go south a couple blocks, it's just across from Lincoln Center- there is also one in Union Square.

Best Meal in the world not to be missed
Sonja since you've been with me I know you're familiar, but it's so good in every way it bears repeating Quality Meats on 57th between 5th and 6th- it might be 58th though... If you want the best meal of your life, eat here, and don't worry about the check, a meal like this is priceless, order starters, order dessert, order wine, order everything. You only live once. As usual, I can only really account for the fish- but it's by far the best preparation I've had- the cod and the salmon are incredible, and they have a Tuna starter with foie gras- it's crazy good. The service here, is incredible as well. Take a cab...

Best Tapas
Well I'd say there are two good tapas places- one I went to on a date in my neighborhood and started going there regularly - I have no idea what it's called, may be something like Tapas - but its just off Amsterdam (but between Broadway in Amsterdam) and on 96 or 95th I think. They have dates wrapped in bacon and good white wine options. The other is right around the corner from NYU's studios on 2nd ave and 10th or thereabouts- it's on the south end of the block with the movie theater and just north of the little park sq. There are two and they are owned by the same people- both are good.

Best place to grab a snack while shopping downtown
Karen's on Astor I think it's called on 8th between Astor Place and Broadway- it's organic so it's pricey but totally worth it- get the chicken curry salad, ice tea and a cookie or two- I always do, and it's a meal that never disappoints...

Best place to grab a meal while shopping downtown
Farfelli's or Fanelli's like that on the corner of Prince and 2 blocks from Broadway. Get the croque monsieur with fries I think the burgers are probably good too. This is a great place to go and get a beer and watch the game on a Sunday while you eat your croque monsieur and talk the to British bartender whose name I forgot- but don't worry he's just another wannabe actor with an accent....

Best Thai Food
I went here twice in two days before I left NYC- Cafe Spice- first, go to The Strand and look at books for 45 minutes, then walk north and west a block each and have dinner, afterwards walk back east a block and catch a movie- I think it's 13th st between Broadway and whatever is one block west of Broadway


No comments: