Saturday, September 26, 2009


This morning I got up 'early' and went jogging- I brought money to stop at Lider on my way home because we were out of milk and bread. Sport of any kind as far as Sylvain and I can figure is completely foreign to the Chilean's. They have a world class tennis player in Fernando Gonzalez and football of course is their national sport- but look for anyone doing anything resembling exercise and look in vain. In the Bronx I would get plenty attention walking down the street where I worked, like every woman was accustom to- here the same thing happens because I'm jogging. It never bothered me to get cat calls in the Bronx because it was a cultural norm to "appreciate women" but as I told Sylvain the other day, I don't like being attended to simply because I am jogging, and I hate that it draws attention when in New York jogging was as unremarkable as walking down the street and smoking.

At least once a week Sylvain comes home frustrated because he woke up and went to class and the professor didn't show up. The same thing happened to me Wednesday when I went to yoga and was told class was pushed back 30 minutes. It seems to be the status quo that timetables are either subject to change without notice, or not adhered to much. Yoga on Wednesday night was the same routine I went through with Pedro Aguilera but with a young woman about my age and 5 other women. Three of them stayed in the back row and were pushed to their personal limits on more than one occasion often sitting out the difficult task of arm circles and a set of 7 sit-ups. Still, despite the lack of any chance of breaking a sweat, I liked her as a teacher, and will return for my last class. Since my teacher was also dressed in white flowing pants and a white sweater, I'm guessing that, this is simply la mode for yoga in South America, black lycra hasn't seemed to have made it's way to Chile yet- not that I blame them- the yoga here isn't athletic enough to require it- I've had a couple hippie teachers in nyc that wear the baggy hammer style pants when teaching, but I generally found having leggings and fitted clothing is easier to work in- but there is something about the white gauzy material that is growing on me. Anyway, Sylvain's friend Saw (pronounced So, short for Sausane) said I could go to the yoga classes at their university and after next week I will check them start going to them- apparently it's mostly American's who show up anyway. Surprise surprise.

Thursday I am going to an art opening with the woman from the artist in residence program in Vina...

No comments: