Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Leafy Meats

There is a first grader, Jalen, at school who shares my birthday (June 19) for weeks and months leading up to this day he would remind me whenever we had class that our birthday was fast approaching. We decided to have a birthday lunch, which we did today, because he skipped out on school yesterday to go to KB Toys and get an assorment of transformers and airplanes. On my birthday I got an assortment of headaches- my classes were awful, and then I had my own class at night which was equally painful. I also got a variety of cakes and tarts. So one of the cakes I brought to work to share with Jalen, it was a fruit tart and I stuck a candle in it and together we made our wishes. Mine went along the lines of - "I wish for a better job" I imagine his went "I hope we have chicken for dinner, or maybe he hopes he gets that helicopter he was hankering after but decided on the airplane instead.  I imagine maybe he wished for Chicken, because during our lunch Jalen asked me if I was eating leaves. I was actually eating salad, the arugula variety, but I could see where he was coming from. Jalen on the other hand had a lunch packed by mom, of rice. All in all he ate about three scoops of rice and called it a day. He also didnt really indulge himself on his portion of tart. Considering Jalen's spread and his appetite, I inquired whether he was a vegetarian, his nonchalent, one word response "Carnivore." Then he waxed lyrical about the band-aid on his finger that covered a nail he accidently tore off. Jalen is an excellent student and an all around great kid, I feel honored to share my birthday with him.

No comments: