Thursday, November 13, 2008

804 sneakers


Today I had 8th grade classes and both classes finally started painting their shoes. It's taken so long to get to this point that I think we were all a little relieved. Both classes went really well, I think they are starting to see how they can integrate art into their lives in meaningful ways. In their reflection papers from the Keith Haring video- Norma said she was inspired and got help from Richie to start drawing like Keith and Carolyn said "This artist really inspired me to be somebody great... he showed me that if you believe in something strongly enough, you can get your point across...and he showed me art doesn't have to be perfect." It's amazing to see students making these connection to the sneakers we are doing in class. So often I worry that we're doing these things they think are fun- like designing sneakers, but that they aren't making the social justice connections.

Most of their reflection papers touched on the fact that Keith Haring was gay and died from AIDS. I think their respect for art We took time to talk about diversity, discrimination and challenging stereotypes.

804 was quiet for the first time ever and I turned on some music, we listened to Coldplay, Mos Def and Run DMC. I love that they like Coldplay. At the end I made Norma go back and clean out her paint container because she did a really sloppy job. She told me I better give her a pass or she would go to the deans and get me fired. I told her to go ahead, but her new art teacher wouldnt be painting mad hot shoes with them. Then she came back and told me she loves art, and my class is her favorite.

This picture is from a recent trip to the Cooper Hewitt Museum we saw the Design Life Now exhibition. It was a huge success the kids loved it, and so did I; I bought the exhibition catalogue and DIY for Kids.

No comments: